Can my father get a visa to visit the U.S to visit his children after deportation for a felony? 8 Answers as of October 22, 2013

My father was arrested and convicted of a felony in 1989. It was a drug related crime that landed him in jail for 12 years. All of his children live in the U.S. as well as other family members and we would like to get a short term visa so he can meet his grandchildren and spend time with his family. My brother was in the military and part of Iraqi freedom and hopes this may help him achieve getting my father's application approved. Do you think this is possible?

Law Offices of Peter De Bruyn
Law Offices of Peter De Bruyn | Peter De Bruyn
No. I doubt if USCIS will allow him back in the US based on the facts of his case.
He will need to qualify for the visa and may or may not need a waiver.
Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. The short answer is, depending on the actual charges he was convicted of, he more than likely will be inadmissible and unable to come to the U.S. I suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your father's situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze his case and advise you of your options. If possible, bring any documents you can find pertaining to your father's conviction for the attorney to review.
Lana Kurilova Rich PLLC
Lana Kurilova Rich PLLC | Lana Kurilova Rich
Your father could try to apply for a tourist visa, but chances are high that he will be denied entry, so you should all be prepared for this outcome. And no, his son's military record will not help the father under these circumstances.
I really doubt that your brother's service will help. You can try but I am not optimistic.
    Mulder Law office, PA
    Mulder Law office, PA | Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
    No. He will not likely be allowed back in the US. I suggest his children go and visit him.
    Your father may qualify for a non-immigrant visa waiver but more needs to be know about his situation. It also need to be well established that he will return at the end of his stay. You would be best advised to take his criminal record to an experienced immigration attorney.
    All American Immigration
    All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
    Unlikely. Take them all on a trip to someplace fabulous that he can get a visa to.