Can my ex wife get more child support if I file a joint return with my new wife in California? 3 Answers as of April 18, 2011

Can my ex wife get more child support if I file a joint return with my new wife in California?

Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
No. Your obligation of support will still be based on your income, not your household income.
Perhaps, but not likely. You filing jointly with your new spouse might move you into a new tax bracket, which could actually reduce your cashflow available for support, and thus your order. If you are looking for an attorney and are in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.
You might be shooting yourself in the foot by not filing Joint Income Tax returns with your new wife. If you don't file joint returns, you'll be in a significantly higher income Married Filing Separate tax bracket, resulting in less net income to you. If you do file joint returns, you will get the lower Joint Return tax bracket, resulting in more net income to you, but if your ex-wife seeks to modify child support, the fact that you have more net income may increase your child support obligation. You should either consult a Family Law Attorney who has the DissoMaster program regarding the economics of your options, so that you can make the wisest choice. You will need to advise the attorney not only about your income, but your wife's income and your ex-wife's income (or estimated income) as well, to get a reasonable evaluation of your options and their consequences.