Can my ex wife get more child support if I file a joint return with my new wife? 8 Answers as of August 26, 2015

Can my ex wife get more child support if I file a joint return with my new wife?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
Probably not.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 8/26/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Not very easily. You are responsible for your post-divorce support obligations, not your bride. Changes in support are generally based on changes in income. While your present family income may have changed, it sounds like your personal earnings have not. There are some courts in some states which think differently even though they should not. You might want to consult a skilled matrimonial lawyer in your locality.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/26/2015
John Russo | John Russo
No, unless you are personally earning more.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 8/26/2015
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
Your current wife's income would have nothing to do with any of your support obligations.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/26/2015
The Gufford Law Firm, P.A.
The Gufford Law Firm, P.A. | Joseph Gufford
No, your new Wife has no duty to support your child. However, beware of filing jointly. If you receive a refund, it may be applied toward any unpaid child support that has accrued and be taken by the IRS to satisfy such arrearage.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/26/2015
Click to View More Answers: