Can my ex take my daughter legally if I take her to see him? 1 Answers as of August 08, 2016

Two years ago, I moved after he threatened me and was emotionally abusive. He seems to be somewhat more decent since then but still has an unsteady lifestyle. I don't trust him with any sort of custody at this time. He smokes weed (which is legal over there). He hasn't come to see our daughter once since I have been here. He stayed in contact with her though and talked to her almost every night. I would like to see my brother in Canada and need him to sign off so I can cross the border with her for a week. We have no parenting plan or custody set into place.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You do not say if the ex was a husband and you're still married. If you weren't married, and there is no parenting plan is place, then he is not yet a legal father with rights to the child. If that is your situation, you have no duty to allow him to see the child and you don't need his OK to cross the border.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/8/2016
Click to View More Answers: