Can my ex stop me from leaving the state with my child? 4 Answers as of May 26, 2011

I have a 2 year old and live with my boyfriend (the father). We broke up and I want to move back to CA with my daughter. Can he stop me from doing so?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Glenn E. Tanner
Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
Maybe. I assume you have a parenting plan in place. If so, you're required to give notice and propose a new plan. He can object and force a hearing. You're presumed to be allowed to go. The court will consider many factors in deciding whether to overcome that presumption.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/26/2011
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
Under Washington law, your husband can ask the court to require the child to stay in the area until the residential schedule for the child has been determined. You can also ask the court to allow you and the child to move to California.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/26/2011
Berner Law Group, PLLC
Berner Law Group, PLLC | Jack Berner
Presumably he could try stop you from taking the child by filing a custody petition. If you reside in Western Washington, feel free to contact my office for a free, no obligation consultation-by phone or in person-about this situation.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/26/2011
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
Assuming you have no children with your ex, based the facts you have presented, my opinion is no, he will not be able to prevent you from moving. Your are divorced.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/25/2011
Click to View More Answers: