Can my ex still file the divorce papers that I signed last July or is it already too late? 14 Answers as of February 10, 2013

I signed the papers in July and she is just filing the papers now. I thought there was only so many days after they were signed that you could file them.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Thompson Law Firm, PLLC
Thompson Law Firm, PLLC | William Matthew Thompson
Depends on what papers are being filed. Time to see a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 2/10/2013
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
In Texas, the Waiver of Service must be signed AFTER the Petition for Divorce is filed. Therefore, you must sign a new Waiver of Service in front of a notary. The one you signed is no longer valid.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 2/7/2013
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
Chances are the court won't deny her from filing the final papers. If you signed the papers after she initially field and served you the papers, and is now submitting the final papers for the divorce, then unless you object to it, the court will probably allow her to submit the final papers for divorce.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/6/2013
The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
The Houser Law Firm, P.C. | A. Bowden Houser
If your divorce is in North Carolina - your statements make no sense. In North Carolina divorce papers are not required to be signed.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 2/6/2013
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 2/6/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Is the case is still active, and has not been dismissed for lack of progress, I see no reason why the papers cannot be filed now.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/6/2013
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    Ideally, they should be filed right away but there is no expiration date.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/6/2013
    Reade & Associates
    Reade & Associates | R. Christopher Reade
    So long as no party has rescinded their signature on the papers, the Complaint for Divorce can still be filed. Obviously if you no longer consent to the terms as executed, you simply need to file with the Court and alter the Court that you had rescinded your approval of the terms when no timely filed.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 2/6/2013
    Kalil & Eisenhut, LLC | Michael N. Kalil
    Impossible to give you a straight answer as I don't know from you question what it is that you signed. If you executed a separation agreement, that can be converted to a divorce at any time and there's no time constraint, other than the specific terms of the agreement.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 2/6/2013
    Richard D. Zasada, LLC | Richard D. Zasada
    No necessary, the papers signed by the parties are binding when signed. They don't become part of the final judgment until incorporated into the final judgment. There are other issues that could come into play with the passage of time. The court should sign the final judgment based on that agreement. If you have arguments against that, you should file an appropriate motion and possibly to set aside the agreement.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 2/6/2013
    Diefer Law Group, P.C.
    Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
    There is a 30 day requirement to file a response but you need to take her default if she failed to file. The deadline to file a response is not automatic. You must seek to move the case forward if the other side fails to respond. If you don't, then the other person can still file a response.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 2/6/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney