Can my ex keep my children from me? 5 Answers as of July 11, 2013

Can my ex keep my children from me even though he is not the biological father of the four in question?

Attorney At Law | Harry D. Roth
Without more, it would appear that he has no rights. The court may order visitation to him if the court determines that it is in the children's best interest, but unless he adopted them, he is not their father and cannot have custody unless you are unfit.
Law Office of Margaret D. Wilson
Law Office of Margaret D. Wilson | Margaret Wilson
Generally speaking, in California if a man is on the birth certificate of a child he is presumed to be the father. As a result, absent any custody orders, the Father has equal rights to the mother. However, if a third party takes a child from a parent without legal right or order of the court then the legal parent can go to the police and report the children as being taken without consent. I suspect that the police would investigate and if they determine the person doesn't have a legal right to the children they would force them to turn the children over to a parent.
It depends on your situation and his situation and status. You haven't provided sufficient information to enable me to provide you a response focused on your particular situation. If he has adopted your children, he has all the rights of a parent. If he determines that you are a danger to your children, he could and should keep the children away from you. You should have a face-to-face consultation with an experienced Family Law Attorney regarding your situation without delay.
If he is not the biological father and if he has not been determined the presumed father, then he should not be able to keep the children from you.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
Not unless he has some sort of court order.