Can my ex husband come back to the U.S. and make trouble for me? 1 Answers as of June 23, 2011

I am US citizen and married in India. We were only together about 4 months after he arrived in US. He was totally different when he got here. We are divorced now and he is back in India. Now that he has had time to think about it he is starting to get upset about things. I will not speak to him but my father has talked to him. I am worried that he could come back to the US and make trouble for me. What are his rights now that we are divorced?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If he were to come back, he would have the same rights as every LPR who lives here in the US. If he received his green card through you, then the question is: did he get conditional LPR or has he already gotten the 10-year LPR? You mentioned that you were together only 4 months prior to divorcing; that tells me that he is a conditional LPR. Since you are divorced, I don't see how he can get the 10-year LPR unless he were to marry someone else. He cannot get it through marriage with you since you are already divorced. There are other ways he could get it which I am not going to discuss here for fear of imparting knowledge to abusers. While he can come back to the US on while his Conditional LPR card is valid, I don't know how he can cause you trouble since you are legally divorced from him. Remember, American Law reigns supreme on American soil, so don't be afraid to use our laws in order to keep yourself safe. You should be fine from what I can assess. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: