Can my employer take back the money they overpaid me with? 3 Answers as of July 15, 2011

The company I work for over paid me by double and the are taking it back which I understand. Can they take it all back at once and leave me nothing to buy gas and food?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Contact and obtain aq responsefrom your State's labor agency.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 7/15/2011
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
Yes, If you were overpaid and refuse to refund the money, you could even be charged with theft, so be happy that they are simply taking the money back and allowing you to keep your job.
Answer Applies to: Maine
Replied: 7/15/2011
Carnes Law Firm
Carnes Law Firm | William J. Carnes
Generally, If you were overpaid, you owe the money to the employer. How much can be deducted at each paycheck has many variables that would require more information.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: