Can my employer rescind my pay raise? How? 4 Answers as of July 03, 2015

My employer (a medical billing company) gave me a raise in August to stay with the company and not take the job I had been offered with another company. I agreed to stay. This month they have taken away a substantial part of my job responsibilities (charge posting and payment posting) and want me to focus strictly on A/R follow up with insurance companies. Therefore, I also asked that 2 other minor responsibilities (not a direct part of my job) be re-assigned as well so I would be able to focus on A/R. Now they say they are rescinding the raise they gave me because I will not be doing anything different than anyone else. Can they do that?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
Yes. When they gave the raise it covered those responsibilities at that time. If they lessen your responsibilities, that justifies there change. MS is an employment at will State, so they can really do anything they want.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 7/3/2015
Adams, Liming & Hockenberry, LLC
Adams, Liming & Hockenberry, LLC | Sharon Cason-Adams
If the pay increase was offered as an inducement to stay, and IF you would have made more at the new job, then you may have a claim against your employer for promissory estoppel. This is a quasi-contractual claim, much like a breach of contract claim.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/2/2015
Yes, your employer may do that, unless you have a written employment contract. Your employer may change the job duties any way they, in their wisdom, wish to do. Your employer may change the pay any way they, in their wisdom, wish to do, so long as you are being paid minimum wage or more. Employees have no property rights in their jobs in Georgia. Your remedy is to find another job.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/2/2015
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
Probably, but an attorney would need complete information about your situation to be able to adequately respond to your situation.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/2/2015
Click to View More Answers: