Can my employer lie and say I gave her my two weeks notice in writing? 3 Answers as of October 25, 2012

I worked as an assistant manager for a large retail company for 7 years. I have been writen up a few times for things I will take the blame for. I was told by my employer severl times on my next follow up that she was letting me go. I had my yearly review after my last write up and she passed me with flying colors saying I was doing a great job and even gave me a good size raise. Today was my follow up from my last review. She told me they were letting me go. This didn't make a lot of since to me, but what bothers me the most is on my exit paperwork she says I was leaving to purssue other career opportunities. She also put that I have written her a 2 weeks notice. I didn't give her any written notice and from what I was told is she was letting me go. Now because of my exit reviews im going have issues with unemployment. She I get a lawyer to pursue this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
The documents you described certainly may cause you problems with you unemployment claim. If you are denied for unemployment, it may be good to contact an attorney who assists people with unemployment applications and/or appeals.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 10/25/2012
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Yes, you should seek legal advice, especially, from a lawyer with experience and expertise in employment and/or labor law matters to determine if your supervisor's action violated any federal and/or state laws in terminating your employment.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 6/15/2011
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
Your employer can lie all she wants on what she says happened in the exit interview. However, she cannot produce the written notice because it does not exist. You have the right to a complete copy of your personnel file. You can also add a rebuttal to your file denying that you gave notice and stating that you were terminated. If you file for unemployment you should win if she challenges it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: