Can my employer fire me for being at the hospital? 7 Answers as of April 09, 2013

I have pneumonia and my employer fired me for being at the hospital even though I tried to get someone to cover my shift. I’m 16 and I worked at day and goes to the hospital at night. I only missed 2 days for the past 7 months.

Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
This depends on whether you qualify for Family and Medical Leave under the Family and Medical Leave Law. Chances are you do not yet qualify, in which case your employer can terminate you.
Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
Employer may fire you. You should file for unemployment compensation.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
Yes, in Georgia, an employer may fire you for this, or for anything, so long as they are not motivated by Race, Age, Sex, National Origin, Religion, Handicap Georgia recognizes the doctrine of employment at will. Employment at will means that in the absence of a written contract of employment for a defined duration, an employer can terminate an employee for good cause, bad cause, a mistaken cause, or no cause at all, so long as it is not an illegal cause.
Law Office of Patricia S. Rose | Patricia S. Rose
You may have some rights under state and federal discrimination and family leave laws.
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
You may be able to assert legal rights if the company has at least 15 employees. Smaller companies are usually not covered by the law.