Can my DUI case be dismissed? 64 Answers as of July 12, 2013

I was recently charged with a DUI and I am worried about the consequences. Is there any possibility that my case could get dismissed?

Law Offices of Michael Stephenson
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson | Michael Stephenson
Yes, if your attorney is experienced enough to come up with a valid defense. Otherwise, your best option is to plea to a lesser sentence.
The prosecutor in the case has the discretion to dismiss any case filed. The decision to dismiss would depend upon the strength of the evidence. You should consult with an experienced DUI attorney to discuss your case and whether the evidence is strong enough to proceed.
Deal & Hooks, LLC
Deal & Hooks, LLC | Shawn P. Hooks
You should consult with an attorney. There is a possibility that the police officer did something incorrect in the stop or subsequent actions which could result in the case being dismissed. It is difficult to say what happened without looking at the discovery to see whether these errors occurred.
LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
It is possible, but unlikely. Most DUI's are charged as a two count complaint. Usually a violation of VC section 23152(a) and 23152(b). The (a) count is driving under the influence, and the (b) count is driving with a BAC of 0.08 or higher. Even if the evidence, such as blood sample, is lost the DA can move forward on the first count simply by using the testimony of the arresting Officer. Another possible method to use to gain a dismissal is exclusion of evidence. If the Officer violated your 4th Amendment rights in either detaining you, or arresting you, it could be possible to exclude all the evidence obtained subsequent to that violation. However, such violations, while they do happen, are difficult to prove. Less than one hearing in ten end up with the case dismissed due to a 4th amendment violation. I start every case with the first goal being dismissal. If a dismissal is not possible, the goal at that point is damage control. Contact a lawyer and have them review the case.
Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
The case would only be dismissed if for some reason your arrest was improperly conducted or you are not, in fact, guilty of the crime you are being charged with. It may be possible to have your charges reduced and/or your sentence suspended or deferred based upon a number of criteria but these all vary on a case by case basis. You should contact a local defense attorney who will be able to work with you to devise the best legal defense in this case. If you are seeking legal representation in this matter in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    A DUI, like any case, can be dismissed where there is a problem with the Prosecutor proving their case. It depends on the evidence which you face, which is related to the facts in your case. You should hire an attorney who will take the time to review your case for possible dismissal. I hope that this was helpful.
    From time to time, for various reasons, a DUI case can be dismissed. Whether dismissal is in order is a question for the Court and can only be expected when good and proper cause has been shown. Sometimes, it is possible, if circumstances are present, that the Court will agree to set a DUI charge off for a deferred prosecution (good behavior) where the arrested person can complete the DUI school and the victim impact panel.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    On what grounds?
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    In Oregon: Unlikely to get dismissed unless there are very specific facts that would justify it. Dismissing it for no legal reason will not work. You need counsel.
    There is a lot that goes into DUI defense, and it is possible to have your case dismissed. I can give you a better idea of what to expect if I know more about your case. Feel free to contact me for more info. If you don't contact me, I would recommend consulting a DUI attorney in your area. I have had many DUI charges reduced and dismissed, and since the consequences of a conviction can be severe, it's a good idea to invest in an attorney that can help you mitigate any potential consequences.
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    Yes. This decision will be up to the prosecutor (perhaps influenced by your highly persuasive attorney).
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
    Speaking generally, yes, there is a possibility that anyone charged with a DUI may have their case dismissed. People charged with an offense are presumed innocent until proven guilty. The prosecutor needs to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. A person charged may not be guilty of any offense. I would recommend consulting with a local criminal defense attorney in your particular area who has experience with these types of cases for specific legal advice. Effective council may have a significant impact in the outcome of your case. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. If you cannot afford to retain an attorney, you may be eligible to have the court appoint an attorney to represent you at public expense. However, availability of court-appointed council depends on your court or state's particular procedures and policies.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    In Oregon where I practice, it is relatively uncommon for a DUII case to be simply dismissed on the merits. What is more common is for first-time offenders to enter and complete the DUII diversion program. Diversion is a treatment program that lasts one year and allows people to successfully complete it to have their DUII case dismissed. Most states have a similar program available, generally for first-time DUII offenders.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    Yes, hire the best DWI Lawyer with a record of winning. Interview lawyers and find the one you learn is best qualified.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    Usually there is not much change of dismissal. With a low blood/alcohol they can sometimes be reduced.
    Cases are seldom dismissed without a very good reason. If you have a good defense then your attorney will use that to negotiate a favorable settlement. If you and the DA cannot agree on a settlement, then you may take your case to trial. Be sure you have an attorney who is experienced with DUI cases. Good luck.
    Giannini Law Office, PC
    Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
    Yes, DUI cases do get dismissed sometimes. But remember this: A DUI case is one of the few cases where the primary witness against the defendant is almost always a police officer. In contrast, rape, robbery, kidnapping and other serious cases usually have civilians (often scared victims) as the main witnesses. So, in a DUI case you have a trained officer who has most likely been to court before. He is preparing his case from the moment he smells alcohol on your breath. If you are truly concerned about the possible outcome and consequences, you need an experienced DUI lawyer on your side. Consult with a couple in your area and hire the one you have the most confidence in.
    It depends upon a lot of facts and circumstances as to whether you have a chance at getting the charges dismissed. You should hire an attorney and disclose all the details and then the attorney can advise you as to what, if any, defenses you may have.
    There is always a chance that any case can be dismissed. It all depends on the circumstances and without any more information, there is no way anyone can give you an answer as to the likelihood. Speak with an attorney or retain an attorney. He should be able to give you an adequate answer once he has received all the relevant information for your case.
    As with all charges a DUI can be dismissed. It all depends upon the evidence.
    Davis & LaScola LTD
    Davis & LaScola LTD | Brandon Davis
    It is important to consult with an experienced DUI attorney to discuss the specifics of your case. Every case is unique and presents different issues. A qualified attorney will be able to determine if any defenses exist to the charge of DUI and explain the possible consequences. Without a proper review of your case, it is difficult to determine the outcome.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    If it cannot be proven it could be dismissed.
    This is an open-ended question. If this is a first time offense, you may be able to get supervision which, if completed successfully, is not a conviction against your permanent record, although the Secretary of State keeps a record in its files, so you never qualify for that disposition again. If the evidence against you is extremely weak, there is a chance of the prosecution dismissing the charges or reducing the charge to reckless driving. In any case get an attorney! If you wish to consult with me about this, call me free of charge.
    The Purnell Law Firm
    The Purnell Law Firm | Simon Purnell
    DUI's do get dismissed but only if there is a problem with the stop or the state's ability to prove their case. A good DUI lawyer should be able to assess your case and give you more specific advice upon being retained and obtaining the discovery in the case.
    You did not provide sufficient facts to determine whether or not there is a legitimate basis to seek a dismissal, or suppression of the evidence. It is important that you retain a criminal defense lawyer and discuss all the facts, along with your rights and options. Good luck!
    It could happen. Talk to your lawyer, and have him or her talk to the officer and the prosecutor to discuss your circumstances. Stay well.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A. | Jacob T. Erickson
    There are reasons that DWI cases can be dismissed. The grounds to dismiss DWIs are usually based on legal arguments that the police acted improperly or that the evidence they collected is somehow flawed. Frankly, you are probably not going to be able to get a DWI dismissed without the assistance of a lawyer.
    The Olsinski Law Firm, PLLC
    The Olsinski Law Firm, PLLC | Justin C. Olsinski
    Depending on the county will depend on whether they would dismiss the charges. It would be very rare for that to happen, the most common way of beating a conviction is through hearings or trial.
    A DWI will not be dismissed unless you have strong defenses and ideally, you should have experienced and aggressive counsel. If you had a Blood Alcohol Content under .20, and you have no prior DWI within the last 10 years, you were charged with a fourth degree offense. This is still serious and carries with it maximum criminal penalties of up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine. If convicted any subsequent DWI offense would be much more serious and with four offenses in ten years, you can be charged with a felony. As a result, as strong defense on the first alleged incident can be critical to your future. Different Judges give different sentences. Accordingly, understanding your Judge and knowing how to change Judge's can be an important part of the process. There is also a civil case that results in the revocation of your driver's license. On a first offense over your lifetime, you may be revoked for 30 to 90 days. This is a separate case even though the challenges are largely the same. In order to challenge your license revocation, you must seek a judicial review by filing a petition within 30 days of the offense. Do not forget this critical time period. All too often people with strong defenses come to me too late to challenge the license revocation. The end result goes well beyond simply having your license revoked. A failure to challenge results in an Implied Consent violation on your record which can also affect employment and may be used to enhance any subsequent DWI offense. There are many challenges to a DWI. Officers must follow very specific steps as part of the arrest. If any one step is missing, the case may be dismissed.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    A lawyer would have to evaluate your case but most likely not. Police are trained by the DAs office to conduct DUI stops a certain way to make sure the DUI stop stands. Not impossible to have the case dismissed but a long shot.
    Collins Law Firm, P.A.
    Collins Law Firm, P.A. | John C. Collins
    This answer is based on the assumption that you were charged with being under 21 with a blood alcohol content of .02-.07. In Arkansas there is a difference between dwi and DUI. A DUI in Arkansas can not be dropped, but depending on the jurisdiction you may be able to get a reduction to reckless driving. A dwi can't be dropped or reduced. Regardless of your jurisdiction my recommendation would be for you to contact a DUI/dwi attorney and discuss your case fully. You may have defenses that could keep you from suffering the long term consequences of a conviction.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Healan Law Offices
    Healan Law Offices | William D. Healan, III
    Any case can be dismissed if the facts are in your favor. It really depends on what evidence the state has and whether or not the officer made mistakes.
    Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC
    Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC | Daniel Hajji
    It depends on the facts and circumstances of your case. Watch this DUI video on how to beat your DUI for guidance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7bTHxM01EA
    Ron Graham Attorney at Law
    Ron Graham Attorney at Law | Ron Graham
    Only if something is wrong with the case and that is rare.
    West law Office
    West law Office | Russell West
    If there are legal grounds for a dismissal then a DUI can be dismissed. However if there this was a legal arrest and you had a BAC over a .08 it is unlikely it will just be dismissed. You can take to trial and hope to win and be found not guilty. Most likely a plea agreement can be made to reduce the charge to a lesser offense but not a dismissal.
    The Law Firm of David Jolly
    The Law Firm of David Jolly | David Jolly
    Sorry to hear of your situation. We defense attorneys are asked often if a DUI will be dismissed. It's impossible to tell. The only way to know is to review a police report and hopefully locate a defense that is "dispositive." Such a defense does dismiss cases. Such an issue must be if there officer did not have probable cause to stop or arrest you. If not such issues exists the only way you can dismiss a DUI is to win at trial or successfully complete a deferred prosecution in Washington. If you have any questions regarding this issues or others, or wish to discuss how to avoid a DUI conviction please contact my office.
    Sharifi & Baron
    Sharifi & Baron | S. Yossof Sharifi
    Yes, but you need an experienced DUI attorney to do it for you. In Utah DUI's are serious crimes, much more serious than you think, and they won't dismiss it just because you want it dismissed. Do your research and hire the best attorney you can.
    Yes, but you'll need a lawyer to help you. DUI cases are often dismissed or reduced for a variety of reasons, especially when your BAC was close to the legal limit.
    This is a question that I could not answer with out knowing the facts of the case, reading the police reports, talking to witnesses, etc. As a general rule, in Michigan, they do not dismiss DUIs unless they are convinced they cannot prove the case.
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber | Marshall Tauber
    Maybe. It depends on all of the facts & circumstances of your arrest. Most cases are not dismissed. You need an experienced dui trial lawyer to represent you to assure all facts are explored.
    Kelly A. Broadbent, Esq.
    Kelly A. Broadbent, Esq. | Kelly Broadbent
    With a DUI in Massachusetts, a lot of factors determine the outcome, including past record, breathalyzer results, field sobriety testing, and statements made at the time of the arrest. It's difficult to predict a possible disposition without more information. Possible outcomes are a guilty finding, a not guilty finding after trial, or a plea with a first offenders disposition.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    Completely depends upon the facts of your arrest. You have to speak to an attorney about your specific facts to see if a dismissal is a possibility.
    It is totally within the power of the prosecutor to continue or dismiss a criminal case. In the case of DWI, it is rare that the prosecutor would ever consider dismissal. With this in mind, you may want to look at what defenses you may have to the charge.
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    Many criminal cases can and are dismissed. Usually this is done through the work of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Although there are no guarantees, hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney is your best chance to get your case dismissed for any of a variety of reasons.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    That depends on a number of factors. If it was a first offense with a BAC test under .13 you will eventually plead to an Impaired violation most of the time. If it is a refusal or a test over .13 you will go to trial. If it is a second or third offense or a high test you will be convicted of a DWI in most cases. If the DA cannot prove you were driving or your test was under .08 you may have the charge dismissed prior to trial or after trial.
    Law Office of William S. Smith
    Law Office of William S. Smith | William S. Smith
    Yes it is possible. However, generally there would have to be specific legal grounds for the charge to be dismissed. Only a skilled, experienced criminal defense attorney can fully know whether there may be grounds to do so in your case. That attorney would have to first review the discovery in your case. If such grounds exist, your attorney would prepare the appropriate legal motion and memorandum and litigate it to the judge in court. Therefore, contact and retain such an attorney immediately if you have not already done so.
    Attorney Paul Lancia
    Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
    Depend on facts. Contact me to talk. Sent from my BlackBerry
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin | Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    This is not a generic question. Any case can theoretically be dismissed. It depends on the facts.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    It's possible. But it completely depends on the details of your case and whether the officer did anything wrong. If you are really concerned, you should contact a criminal defense attorney in your area to discuss the details of the arrest.
    CAN it?? Sure. WILL it?? Police and prosecutors don't take the time to research, prepare and file charges just to drop them. There is no magic wand to wave and make it all disappear. Of course you can fight it. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. Effective plea-bargaining, using those defenses, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict and jail you. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be. Keep in mind a little free advice: When you are arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking you were given documents that included a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of an automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
    The court will only dismiss s case when there are severe problems with their case. An experienced attorney can review the police report and determine if there are problems with the arrest
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    If you do diversion, the charge will be dismissed if you complete the court-ordered treatment. Otherwise, the case might be dismissed by the prosecutor if they have a serious problem proving the case, like if the arresting officer retires and moves to Timbuktu. DUII cannot be dismissed as part of a plea bargain. Of course, you might be able to win the case at trial.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    DUI cases can and have been dismissed but that largely depends on the facts of the case.
    Mercado & Hartung
    Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
    It is very rare for a DUI charge to be dismissed. It is possible to have the case amended (reduced to a lower charge) which can lessen some of the serious consequences of a DUI conviction. I would need more facts to provide you a better idea about the potential outcomes for your case. Feel free to give me a call (free of charge) and I can give you a better idea of what to expect.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    Doubtful. If the evidence was overwhelming that you did not actually commit a DUI, then you might have a chance at dismissal. Otherwise, you would have to fight your case. Most jurisdictions prosecute DUIs fairly vigorously. You likely need representation.
    Law Office of Kyle T. Green, PLLC
    Law Office of Kyle T. Green, PLLC | Kyle T. Green
    It depends on the facts and circumstances of the case. The State is not going to outright dismiss the case, but certain issues may bring into question the State's evidence and allow the case to be dismissed, although this is rare.
    Only if you were not driving under the influence. Otherwise, these cases are solid and politically prosecutors will never dismiss a decent case.
    Moffitt & Phillips, PLLC
    Moffitt & Phillips, PLLC | Brandon Moffitt
    In Arkansas, no. Not possible here. If another jurisdiction, it depends.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    If you win at trial, the Case would be effectively dismissed. The only other way is winning a pre-trail motion or having the DA reject the case.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Anything is possible, but there is absolutely no way for anyone to guess what your chances are without knowing the facts. You may have factual defenses (you weren't driving, your blood alcohol was below 0.08%, you weren't under the influence, etc.) or legal defenses (illegal stop, search or arrest). There is no way to predict the outcome without a thorough review of the facts of your case. Time for a criminal defense attorney. Don't forget that you only have 10 days from the date of your arrest to request a hearing with the DMV or they will automatically suspend your license.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney