Can my daughter file chapter 7 bankruptcy without the money for fees? 9 Answers as of May 19, 2015

My daughter qualifies for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. However, she cannot come up with the $1,500 dollar amount needed for fees all at once. Any suggestions about what we can do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
Any money owed by the debtor on the date of filing is discharged in the BK filing, including any attorney fees owed on the date of filing. In our office, I can take a credit card from the debtor's mother, brother, sister in law, etc.. The debtor can then make payments on this credit card debt after the filing of their BK. This may be an avenue available for your daughter.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 5/19/2015
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
Well, I for example let the clients make payments and when the fees are paid, I file the case. Lawyers can not take payments after you file becks they become a creditor in the case. Creditors may not collect fees for pre-petition services. That is against the law.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/18/2015
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
Most people have to wait to save up the money to pay for the legal fees and court costs. Some people take out a retirement loan or pawn their vehicle title to get into bankruptcy faster, while others look to family or friends for a gift to pay these costs. If your daughter received a large tax refund, she may now want to change her tax withholding so she gets more money in her paycheck instead of waiting until the end of the year.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/18/2015
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
Go see legal aid in your district
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/18/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
One thing is to consider shopping a bit for a less expensive attorney. $1,500 is the maximum charge, you can probably find an attorney who will do it for somewhat less. By law, the attorney must be paid before the case is filed. But it's common to allow clients to make payments before the filing. For example, I find that clients can often make payments of every payday and cover the fee in a month or two. Remember that after you've decided to file bankruptcy, you can stop making payments on most or all of your debts. That usually frees up cash to pay for the bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/15/2015
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    She can look for a lawyer who will accept installment payments to pay the legal fee. Or, she can do a whole lot of research and learning and consider filing her case without the benefit of a lawyer to guide her.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 5/15/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    The court charges only $335.00 as a fee for filing a Chapter 7. Presumably her lawyer wants a fee of $1,500.00. She can seek a cheaper lawyer, but (a) the $1500 is actually a bit lower than the market rate for these services, and (b) if you hire a really inexpensive lawyer, you are likely to get the quality of legal services for which you have paid. She can also file without a lawyer. I generally don't recommend this course of action, but if she urgently needs to file, she can do it.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 5/15/2015
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter | Daniel J Winter
    Some attorneys will accept payments each month. But most attorneys will require payment in full before the case can be filed. You should discuss it with the attorney, and see how quickly the case needs to be filed.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 5/15/2015
    Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
    You can pay some to get the work started, but your attorney can't file until all is paid.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/15/2015
Click to View More Answers: