Can my co workers words be considered sexual harassment? 1 Answers as of February 08, 2011

Is there any legal charges for calling your coworker honey,beautifull or sweety?

The Liblang Law Firm, P.C.
The Liblang Law Firm, P.C. | Dani K. Liblang
"Sexual harassment" in employment includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct or communication of a sexual nature under the following conditions: (i) submission to the conduct or communication is made a term or condition either explicitly or implicitly to obtain (or retain) employment; (ii) submission to or rejection of the conduct or communication by an individual is used as a factor in decisions affecting the individual's employment; or (iii) the conduct or communication has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with an individual's employment or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive employment environment.

Whether being called "honey, beautiful or sweetie" would qualify as harassment will depend on the circumstances. For you, the terms, coming from your co-workers, are obviously bothersome. For others, that might not be the case, depending on the context. In order to protect yourself, you'll want to make it clear to your supervisors that you find these terms offensive and would like the behavior to stop. If the behavior continues, or if you find that you are being retaliated against as a result, you may have claims against both the co-workers and your employer.

If you would like to discuss your specific situation, please feel free to call or e-mail me directly.