Can my citizen mother help me get my residence? 5 Answers as of August 04, 2011

My mother just received her citizenship, and I am not at a current legal status here. I came in with a permit 17 years ago and I haven't been to my birth country ever since then but im about to turn 18 . Can she still help me receive my residence? I really want to attend college. If so, how long will it take? Thank you.

Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
Yes you should be eligible to obtain permanent resident status through your mother if it is granted before you turn 21.
Yes, why were you not included in her application for permanent residence as her dependent? She can also apply for you separately as you entered the US lawfully and have now overstayed, but since you are under 21, and she is a US citizen, you are deemed to be an "immediate relative" and your overstay and any unauthorized employment is forgiven under INA section 245(a). Consult with an immigration attorney now. File immediately.
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices | Hans Burgos
She may file a Petition for Relative (Form I-130) on your behalf; and you may file an Application for Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) in order to obtain your residence inside the United States.
Yes as long as you were admitted and inspected when you entered the U.S. then your mother as a U.S. citizen can file for you as her immediate relative as you are still under 21 years. Contact my office if you need us to prepare the petition on your behalf.
You Mom can get your immigration visa but you have to go back to your home country for interview if it is approved. However, once you are there, you will be barred for immigration for 10 years. You may get a waiver. The whole process is not as easy as you wish. You should retain a lawyer's help.