Can my case be reopened and recharged with additional charges because I did not pay it even though there was no one willing to accept my payment? 2 Answers as of May 12, 2014

I had a restitution case with the department of labor. I plead guilty to receive a misdemeanor in the case as long as I paid the restitution in full. I provided a check on my court date with the full amount almost ten thousand dollars and the case was supposedly dismissed. A copy of the check was taken by the district attorney but the check was returned to me. I was told to take the check to the probation office even though I was not on probation. I took the check to the office where I was told I had no pending case. I was told to pay court fees in the amount of $250 dollars on a final date two months later. I cannot find my case on any public record sites and there is no record on the state website. I was turned down by the judge, the district attorney, my attorney, and the probation office.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
If your question is, can I still be punished for failing to make restitution even though I tried to, the answer sadly is yes. Speak to whatever attorney represented you in this case and get their help in making the restitution.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/12/2014
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Restitution is ordinarily owed to the victim. You need to retain a lawyer to straighten out this mess.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/7/2014
Click to View More Answers: