Can my case be dropped if I turned myself in? 16 Answers as of March 11, 2013

I rented a laptop for a friend but she never returned nor paid for it. I now have a warrant for my arrest. I am willing to pay for it. If I turn myself in, can the case be dropped into a lesser charge?

You turning yourself in has nothing to do with the charges being reduced. You will be arrested on the warrant, and will have to bond out on the charges and figure out where the case is going.
Get an attorney get the money to pay for the laptop. maybe they will dismiss the matter. Never do a favor for that person again. They are not your friend.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Whether someone is guilty and whether the prosecution decides to proceed against that person are separate issues from resolving a warrant for the person's arrest.
Often charges are reduced to a lesser offense, especially if you have no prior criminal history. But why would you be willing to pay for something that you didn't do? I would suggest at least speaking to a criminal lawyer in your area first before agreeing to anything. You don't want to have a criminal record, even if it's only a misdemeanor, if you don't have to.
No way. Turning yourself in has absolutely nothing to do with whether the charges will be dropped.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    It could be, but not necessarily. Hire a lawyer to help you because there are no guarantees. You want to maximize your chances of keeping a clean record.
    Get counsel. You need help.
    Mari Morrison Attorney at Law | Mari Morrison
    More than likely if you turn yourself in and negotiate with the DA or have your lawyer do it, the charge can be dismissed if you pay the cost of the computer and all court cost. But you need to have th money ready when you go to court.
    Randy M. Lish, Attorney at Law | Randy M. Lish
    It can be, but it is up to the prosecutor, and may not be.
    Law Office of Richard Southard
    Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
    Turning yourself doesnt mean that the charges will be dismissed or reduced. It should help you out with not having to post bail while you are fighting the case.
    Without further details is impossible performing opinion. You should see an attorney as quickly as possible and have him arrange for your turning yourself in.
    Yes. Hire an attorney before you do anything.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
    You should retain a good criminal lawyer to handle the case. You can probably get an ACD dismissal if you have a clean record.
    The O'Hanlon Law Firm, P.C. | Stephen O'Hanlon
    Possibly but you need an attorney to negotiate. Do not try and negotiate by yourself with the police. You should arrange for an attorney to turn you in also.
    While it is possible, depends on the nature of the case and your history.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    If not dismissed, you may have a good defense to be convicted of theft, you have to have the mental state of wanting to permanently deprive of the thing unlawfully here, you wanted friend to use computer and return it as required. Friend did not and you are trying to correct that its best not to talk with police or prosecution without representation - they will try to twist your words or not write down all that you say. If you want to make the above statement without an attorney, write it down as a statement, in your own words and submit it to them - that way you control what is recorded contact me to discuss representation