Can my car insurance pay the full amount for my injury? 6 Answers as of February 20, 2012

I have bodily injury insurance in Florida, and my insurance comp. has not settled a case, for an accident I had that had personal injuries to the parties of the other car. I am now being sued. If there is a judgment for my limit am I liable to pay any part of it or must my insurance company pay the full amount?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
you need your own lawyer to secure your rights against your own insurance company
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/31/2011
Allen Murphy Law
Allen Murphy Law | W. Riley Allen
Your carrier has to pay up to the total limit; you are responsible beyond that.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/28/2011
Kirshner & Groff
Kirshner & Groff | Richard M. Kirshner
Speak to a lawyer to make sure your insurance company settles within your policy limits.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/28/2011
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
It would never hurt for you to hire what is called "personal counsel" for your lawsuit. I been personal counsel on many occasions, and I have felt it always worked to the benefit of the insured who was being sued. Your insurance company will hire an attorney to represent you, but bear in mind that this attorney is being paid by the insurance company so he or she cannot write the kind of stern letters to the insurance company that sometime need to be written. Splurge and hire personal counsel just to monitor the litigation.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/28/2011
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
Your insurance should cover anything up to the limit. The insurance company also owes you a duty to settle (if reasonable and possible) without your policy limit to avoid you having an excess judgment (a judgment against you for an amount above your policy limits). If you feel the insurance company is not handling the case in the manner that will be protect you, you should discuss the issue with the attorney they hire for you to defend you in the case. That attorney - while hired by the insurance company - has a duty to you to protect you for an excess verdict.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/20/2012
Click to View More Answers: