Can my brother obtain a green card if he has lived in the US? 3 Answers as of May 05, 2011

My brother has lived in The U.S for 14 years, is he eligible for a green card? He has worked with a made up SS#, owes speeding, no drivers license, no insurance tickets and has child support.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
I assume your brother has someone other than you to sponsor him into the US, assuming you are a USC. You can do it but it will take a long time, 10- 15 years. He will have to get his immigrant visa outside of the US and may have to spend some time there before getting it. I suggest that he take care of his child support issues (this is serious!) before presenting himself to the consul for a visa. Look, have him clean up whatever issues he has and have him stay out of trouble. If he does not have a good moral character, he may be denied any visa application he would otherwise qualify for. I do not have enough information to opine on any "Cancellation of Removal" he might qualify for. Have him consult competent counsel to explore his options. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/5/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
It sounds like your brother is living a good life here, but that will not be enough. He needs to fit into one of the categories that allow this, such as marriage to a US citizen. Also, if he entered the US without permission that will have a big impact on his options. Please have him do a full consult with a competent immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/5/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
There is no way to get permanent residence only based on the facts you have given. There is something called cancellation of removal which has a 10 year physical requirement. However, that is not the only requirement. There must also be a qualifying relative and a showing of hardship. Your brother should meet with an experienced attorney to see if this or other options are available to him.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 5/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: