Can my brother keep our parents from seeing his kid? Posted on July 24, 2011

Firstly, neither my parents nor I are seeking custody of a child. In summation, due to an ongoing monetary dispute, my brother and his wife have threatened to restrict access to my autistic nephew. My question is (a) can they do that? and (b) is there anything we could do about it?My brother and his wife live with my nephew in Quebec. My parents have been gifting my brother funds and provisions since his girlfriend (now wife) became pregnant with my nephew eleven years ago. Among other things, they paid the down payment on their house, bought them a car, transferred upwards of 200K in funds and to my knowledge, my parents have not asked nor received any remuneration. Neither my brother or sister in-law have worked for over a year, and their debts continue to grow and have harassed my parents, family members, and myself via email. Most recently, my brother created a group on Facebook declaring how he is destitute and how my parents should 'do the right thing' and pay him 7000$. Truthfully, as hurtful as that all is, we've grown accustomed to it. This has been ongoing for over a decade. However, with the creation of this Facebook group, my brother has not only alienated himself from us, but from our extended family and network of friends. There were already only a small number of people who my brother would speak to at all, and now that sum could easily be none. I have only been successful in making direct contact with him via Facebook, and in none of his correspondence have I seen any discussion of my nephew's well-being or social development. This is my concern: especially because my nephew is autistic, I'm afraid my brother's malicious behavior may adversely affect his development. There have been incidents in the past where it was diagnosed that environmental changes manifest or worsen my nephew's behavioral ticks. Because my brother refuses to accept contact by phone, and his emails are only regards to money, we have no news of my nephew.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: