Can my boyfriend take my daughter even though she has my last name? 1 Answers as of June 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I have been together in Texas and he has been in my daughter's life but I just learned he has been selling drugs and I left because I don't want my daughter around that mess. She has my last name. Is there any way he can come take her from the baby sitter when I'm at work? he keeps threatening it....He claims to be my daughter's dad but she has my last name.

Last name has nothing to do with it. If your daughter had his last name, would that change the fact she is your daughter? My advise, get away from this guy, stop being his girlfriend if he is selling drugs! Is he paying support? Has he ever taken a DNA test? You stated he has been in her life, has he assumed the father role? If yes, then he has some rights. Enforcing them may be difficult, but the fact of the matter is that the babysitter likely knows or believes he is the father and if so, then yes, he can.