Can my boyfriend sue me for fraud if I stop calling in for him? 7 Answers as of April 17, 2013

My boyfriend went to jail on a community corrections revocation and gave me power of attorney over him. He lost his job and I assisted him in filing out unemployment papers and he was granted unemployment. He got regressed to jail and I called in twice for him. However, I put the money on his account in jail. I was not aware that I could have gotten in trouble for doing that so I told him I wouldn’t call in anymore. He has written me several letters threatening to turn me in for fraud if I didn’t continue to call in for him to receive payment. I want to leave him. However, I wanted to know can he get me in trouble for that?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
He has progressed from involving you in fraud to extortion. See counsel
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/17/2013
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/17/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Well you did not mean to break the law at first. But if you continue to do so knowing it is illegal then you will get in trouble.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/17/2013
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
You should speak to a local criminal defense attorney about your options.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 4/17/2013
Kevin H Pate
Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
You were wrong to call in. You would be more wrong to continue to call in. Keep in mind, to turn you in is to also turn himself in, especially if you can show the funds were placed to his credit at the jail account. That would not seem to be his best course of action under the circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 4/17/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    You are correct and refusing to do anything illegal. I do not believe that you would have any significant legal trouble due to your lack of understanding, and your correcting your actions as soon as you found out. Her boyfriend is not allowed to collect unemployment while he is in jail and any payments which were made it to him or on his behalf can be, at most probably will be, sought to be repaid to the government.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    While you may get "in trouble" the longer you continue this fraud, the worst it will be for you. You need to contact the police and tell them what has been going on. Provide them the threatening letters.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/16/2013
Click to View More Answers: