Can my boyfriend sue me for fraud if I stop calling in for him? 7 Answers as of April 17, 2013

My boyfriend went to jail on a community corrections revocation and gave me power of attorney over him. He lost his job and I assisted him in filing out unemployment papers and he was granted unemployment. He got regressed to jail and I called in twice for him. However, I put the money on his account in jail. I was not aware that I could have gotten in trouble for doing that so I told him I wouldn’t call in anymore. He has written me several letters threatening to turn me in for fraud if I didn’t continue to call in for him to receive payment. I want to leave him. However, I wanted to know can he get me in trouble for that?

He has progressed from involving you in fraud to extortion. See counsel
Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated.
Well you did not mean to break the law at first. But if you continue to do so knowing it is illegal then you will get in trouble.
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
You should speak to a local criminal defense attorney about your options.
Kevin H Pate
Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
You were wrong to call in. You would be more wrong to continue to call in. Keep in mind, to turn you in is to also turn himself in, especially if you can show the funds were placed to his credit at the jail account. That would not seem to be his best course of action under the circumstances.
    You are correct and refusing to do anything illegal. I do not believe that you would have any significant legal trouble due to your lack of understanding, and your correcting your actions as soon as you found out. Her boyfriend is not allowed to collect unemployment while he is in jail and any payments which were made it to him or on his behalf can be, at most probably will be, sought to be repaid to the government.
    While you may get "in trouble" the longer you continue this fraud, the worst it will be for you. You need to contact the police and tell them what has been going on. Provide them the threatening letters.