Can my boyfriend sponsor me after we marry even though he is unemployed and has been refused social security? 7 Answers as of January 19, 2011

My long term boyfriend is an American citizen and we hope to marry. He is unable to work and has been denied social security and disability. He is currently in Ohio. I am Irish and will complete a recognized LLB and will qualify to take the bar exam in 2013 and would have good job prospects. How can my future spouse sponsor me so that I can support both of us?

No problem with him petitioning for your permanent residency. They will look at his 2009 or 2010 whichever is latest when you file. If insufficient income (125% of the Poverty Guidelines) he will need to show assets (3 times any shortfall) and/or get a co-sponsor.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
He can obtain a co-sponsor on the affidavit of support to meet the poverty guidelines required by the government.
He can. but you will likely face denial because he seems not be able to guarantee that you are not public charge.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
You will need a joint sponsor to complete the affidavit of support during processing. Your boyfriend will still need to complete an affidavit, and presumably explain why he is not working, but you can use a joint sponsor.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
This will be difficult, but not impossible.

You will need someone to be your financial sponsor to file the Affidavit of Support. Perhaps his parents will do it, perhaps some friend will do it. If you find someone who will give you an Affidavit of Support, then you can enter the USA on a fiancee visa, get married, then adjust status to legal resident.

Do you know that Ohio has suffered devastating unemployment, not just since 2008, but even before that? Job prospects for lawyers are the bleakest in years.

I hope this works out well for you.
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    Yes he can, however, because of his income status you would need a co-sponsor which could be a relative or friend, who is either a citizen or permanent resident.
    Yes he can. However, you will need a co-sponsor since he is unemployed. The fact that you may be able to support the both of you sometime in the future does not matter. They judge the ability to do so at the time of the immigrant visa interview.