Can my boyfriend get a green card if we were not married but have 3 kids? 7 Answers as of August 20, 2013

Me and my boyfriend never got married and had three kids, the oldest is 28. My boyfriend is not a US citizen can he get a green card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Sylvia Ontaneda-Bernales | Sylvia Ontaneda-Bernales
If you are a US citizen or LPR and marry him, you can petition for him. If he has a US citizen son or daughter who is at least 21 years old, one of them can petition for him. But petitioning for him, however, does no mean that he can get a green card if he is in the US without a proper visa. You should consult with an immigration attorney who can assess the situation and advice you accordingly.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 8/20/2013
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
You will have to marry your boyfriend to assist him. Is there a reason that you cannot now marry? In order for him to obtain residence in the US he has to have entered legally and not be subject to a ground of inadmissibility (I.e. Certain crimes for example). If he entered illegally he might be eligible for the new provision waiver program which would require him to go to his home country but hopefully for a short period.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/14/2013
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
"Boyfriend" is not a status that the immigration law recognizes. If you are a U.S. citizen or green card holder, you could sponsor the father of your children for a green card only if you married him. But, in your family, you are not the only one who can be a sponsor: your children aged 21 years and older can sponsor their father, too - even if their parents are not married. The problem is that, if your "boyfriend" came to the U.S. without a visa, the process of obtaining a green card for him will be quite difficult, and I would not recommend trying it without an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/14/2013
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
There is no visa category for "biological father of a U.S. citizen's child," but there is a visa category for the parent of a U.S. citizen child. It would be wise for the father and son to engage an immigration attorney who could review all of the relevant details in order to advise about eligibilities, options and strategies. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/13/2013
Law Offices of N.J. SAEH PC | Noel J. Saleh
Assuming your children are. US citizen, any of them who is over 21 can sponsor their father.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/13/2013
Click to View More Answers: