Can my boyfriend's ex-wife steal from me after he dies? 2 Answers as of April 01, 2016

My boyfriend recently died owing a great deal of back child support. His divorce was at least 6 years ago and I met him only 3 years ago. I've never met nor spoken to his ex-wife or his children. To my knowledge, all of his assets were lost in the divorce or sold off soon after to cover child support, lawyers, and living expenses. When I met him, he had virtually nothing, very few possessions and none of any value except for a vehicle in his name that was paid off. After his death, his ex-wife found out about me. She came to where I live and took his vehicle which had a bunch of my own furniture in the back. She tried to have me evicted from my apartment and began telling people that I'm hiding assets and/or possessions that legally belong to her and her children. Today, this woman and her two teenage children showed up at my door and tried to force entry into my home. I called police and they did very little saying it wasn't a police matter. I agreed to speak with her and she began pointing at my belongings - some purchased over 6 or 7 years ago - and claimed they were hers. She said I posted a photo on Facebook of my cat lying on her comforter. How far can this go? I already supported my boyfriend for 3 years before he died. Will I have to pay for his past as well? Can she demand entry into my home and begin claiming items? My boyfriend did leave a will with me as his sole beneficiary. I've hired a lawyer but he doesn't specialize in this area. This woman appears to be a bit unhinged and I'm wondering how far this can go and what I should do? I'm older than my boyfriend was and in very poor health, and this is really beginning to take a toll on me. But I can't believe this woman is actually entitled to search my home?

Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
You need to speak with a probate attorney. If his assets were under $100,000 and his teenage children or either of them were under the age of 18 when he died, that child is entitled to his assets by law. It is not theft if that is the case, it is the law. He could not give you assets. He has a duty to provide for his child[ren].Again speak to an attorney. You may need to retain one. This is opinion is solely based upon the facts presented in the inquiry. Additional facts may be important and may change the analysis. If you are uncertain, seek legal counsel. We are not your attorneys. This answer is being offered to assist you in determining if you need to retain legal counsel to assist you, not to resolve your issue through an email inquiry.
She can only get what she owns pursuant to the divorce decree. However, his children, if any, would be entitled to inherit his assets, unless he had a will to the contrary.