Can my baby's mother keep me from seeing my kids or my family? 9 Answers as of May 14, 2012

We are on bad terms and she is always saying I'm not going be able to see my kids and neither is my family.

Theodora Fader | Theodora Fader
You will need a court order to establish your rights as a dad.
The Gardner Law Firm, PLC | Brandon Gardner
Without a court order, neither you nor her have any right to parenting time. So, she can keep you from seeing the kids and, if the roles were reverse, you could keep her from seeing the kids. To obtain the order, file a motion regarding parenting time with your local circuit court. As for the remainder of the family, they may also sue for parenting time but a biological parent's rights trump any third party's desire for time for the children.
Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
In Michigan, a father has rights to visitation. If the parties are unmarried, the father has claim paternity, if the mother is on assistance, the prosecutor will file a paternity action agaiinist the father for child support and the father can seek visitation at that time. Grandparents have no rights to visitation under Michigan law.
Patrick McCarthy
Patrick McCarthy | Patrick McCarthy
Assuming you have custody, she would not have a basis to restrict your parenting time or deny you access to your children unless sufficient reasons are or have been presented to the Court and the Court orders such a restriction.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
If you are the father of the child, you have a right to see that child unless she has a court order preventing you from doing so.
    Law Office of Christine A. Gara | Christine A. Gara
    If you are married to the baby's mother or have signed an affidavit of parentage, you have the legal right to see your child. You will have to petition the court to set up parenting times. Your conduct towards the baby's mother and the child will be in issue since she must be asserting some reasons for denying you visitation. When you assert your right to see your child, expect an order to be entered requiring you to pay child support, if there is not one in place already. If you are not married to the baby's mother and do not have a signed affidavit of parentage, you will have to petition the Circuit Court to get an order establishing that you are the biological father and setting forth a parenting time schedule Your family has no right to visit with the child. You will have to share your parenting time with them.
    Generally she cannot prevent you from seeing and assisting in the raising of your children, although such may require a court order. As for your "family", their presence in you children's lives will generally be during your parenting time. If you are having trouble I would suggest you seek counsel.
    Ryan Maesen PLC | Ryan Maesen
    You have the right to see your children. You may need to do to court and get a judge to sign an order establishing parenting time and custody.