Can my attorney sign medical release forms without my knowledge or permission? 10 Answers as of July 17, 2013

Regarding, medical release forms, can an attorney sign without knowledge/permission of client/patient? I was wondering if my attorney is legally authorized to sign medical records release form on my behalf, without my prior knowledge/permission? My attorney requested my medical records, but did so without me ever signing anything and records (not related to the case) were released that I did not want to have released. Is that normal?

No. It would require his signing your name which without your permission is improper.
Robert Mortland
Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
You have to sign a release that your attorney forwards to the medical provider. It is not legal for your attorney to sign your name and you must give permission to give your lawyer your medical documents.
Attorney at Law | Ernest Krause
OF COURSE, your attorney cannot sign medical release forms without your "knowledge or permission." That would be unethical. PERHAPS you gave him/her permission in an Attorney-Client fee agreement or such, in the "fine print" without knowing what you were doing.
Your attorney can do it, but only after consulting you and obtaining your permission.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
Absolutley NOT! Violation of HIPPA Rules and is forgery!
    Need more info. Is this from a personal injury case where you signed a contract? Otherwise it makes no sense. He certainly cannot snoop into your private medical records and there is a federal statute - HIPPA -preventing this. The problem I have is that no hospital would release these records without his complying with the HIPPA requirements so you might have a law suit against the lawyer AND the hospital.
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
    An attorney can do this, but he or she should have consulted with you and gotten your consent to do so first.
    I would not do that. But , if this is a personal injury case, such authority may be in the agreement. Call attorney and discuss this.