Can my apartment complex start charging for parking? 4 Answers as of September 26, 2013

Parking was free, plenty of spots, nothing in the lease about it. Now they are changing so that we have to pay per month starting next month. They will charge $100 per parking pass per year.

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
If your lease didn't specify that parking was included, it wasn't.
What does your lease say? If it says free parking, then no, it can't. If it doesn't talk about it, then it is a maybe. You need to talk with a local attorney about the issue.
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
It depends on your lease. If the lease was silent on the issue and the tenants were parking then they would have to amend the lease at renewal. If the LL reserved the right to change the parking rules, then he can.
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
A review of the lease would be necessary to respond. I would suggest that you inquire as to where in the lease the right to charge for things that are not covered is allowable. What is to prevent them from charging for garbage pickup or window cleaning if the lease says nothing about these possible charges as well? I think you might have a good argument against paying depending upon what the lease does or doesn't say.