Can my apartment complex impose new charges without my permission? How? 8 Answers as of July 27, 2015

My apartment complex recently hired an outside company to manage the apartments. The new company started charging us new fees, such as billing fees and sewage fees. However, I never signed a contract giving them permission to do this, and in my original contract it says nothing about fees like this. Is this legal for them to do?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Its probably a breach of the lease .. however there are many potential issues here..spend an hour or so with an attorney to review those issues.
What fees can be charged are governed by the terms of the lease. If you are on a month to month tenancy and they told you thirty days or more before the end of the tenancy that they would be re-renting to you with new terms and you did not object, then you accepted the new terms.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
If you are a tenant your lease agreement should specify what expenses you are responsible to pay, including water and sewer rents and administrative fees. If these items are not included you will not be held liable to pay them. Billing costs would be considered administrative fees that the management company would absorb as part of its overhead expenses and should not be passed on to the tenants, simply because it would be impossible to apportion such expenses accurately. As for the garbage collection, if the lease does not make the tenant specifically responsible for it, then it is the landlord who will absorb the cost.
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
They can only charge what's in the contract.
Have an attorney examine the lease or rental agreement.
    If you have a fixed term lease without these charges then they cannot impose them. If you are month to month, they technically should give you a new lease or something in writing with the new terms, but yes, they can alter the terms.
    Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
    The answer to your question depends on whether you have a lease which has not yet expired, or a month to month rental agreement (or expired lease) that can be changed or terminated by either side on 30 days notice. The answer may also depend on whether you are in a rent control area, or whether the new charges equate to a rent increase in excess of 10%.
    Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
    Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
    The terms of our agreement can be changed, with certain exceptions depending upon the circumstances, however, the Washington Landlord Tenant Act requires that you be given at least 30-days advanced notice before the change becomes effective. This would include a change in rent as well. Certain cities, such as Seattle, however, have further limits on how the rent can be changed. If the increase is greater than 10%, the landlord much give 60-days notice. If you are on a lease, the term cannot be changed, nor can the rent until the term expires. All other changes can be made so long as at least 30-days notice is provided to you. You can agree, however, to an earlier effective date if you choose.