Can my alimony payments be increased if I am living with someone who makes more than me? 1 Answers as of August 08, 2016

I am recently divorced, but have been living with my girlfriend for several years since the ex and I separated. Her income is higher than mine and we do not share expenses as she has bills of her own. I am struggling to make my bills monthly. I have information that my ex-wife (who I have to make alimony payments) is going to be living with a man and her financial situation is going to be improved. I want to take her back to court in order to show that she no longer needs alimony. Can my ex-wife file a counter claim asking for increased alimony since my girlfriend and I are in a marriage-like relationship?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You do not say if the order makes maintenance modifiable. Most don't. Many make alimony irreversible except by death and remarriage on the part of the recipient. Again, some orders don't even make alimony modifiable even with the death of the payor. Read your final orders. The fact that either one of you is living with someone who makes more money, is irrelevant.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/8/2016
Click to View More Answers: