Can my 19-year-old son be charged with supplying to minors or MIP when no test was given? 14 Answers as of June 13, 2013

My son had a party without my knowledge and the cops were called. His friends brought alcohol to the party. The cops and charged my son with supplying to minors/residence. They never gave my son a breathalyzer and he was not drinking.

Supplying alcohol to minors does not mean you are drinking.
No,but he does not have to have been drinking. Just having the booze there is enough.? It was his house and he let them bring the booze in. He should have said no and not let them have it in there. He was in charge.
Law Office of John Schum, LLC
Law Office of John Schum, LLC | John Schum
The police can arrest your son and the prosecution may very well charge this case. What will be the proof is what the other youth say. If they say your son gave them the alcohol, that is sufficient proof. If they do not test the substance to prove it is alcohol we may have some luck in trial but that will occur down the road. Even if the youth say your son did not give them the alcohol the prosecution still may charge him as an aider and abettor by allowing them to use your house for the party. We will have to wait and see. If they charge your son, I can assist with this matter. We may be able to fight and win if the facts are in our favor or be able to keep this off his record if it is to risky to challenge. I hope this helps you sort your legal situation out.
Answer Applies to: Hawaii
They don't need to. The cop's own observations is enough to get your son for this relatively minor charge. He needs to hire an attorney to negotiate with the Judge so that in the end the charge is dismissed.
It makes no difference, your son was responsible for supervising the party and making sure no alcohol was present, especially if minors were in attendance at said party. The police had a right to arrest him and file charges.
    I would need significantly better detail before I could form a firm opinion. If your son was providing a venue at which minors were bringing in taking alcohol there are most probably some charges which can be levied against him.
    I would need further information to answer better, but generally if the charge is supplying to minors it does not matter if the person supplying the alcohol is drinking or not., the charge is supplying it for others who are minors. You should hire an attorney
    If your son provided a place for minors to consume alcohol you bet.
    They can still charge him and it is a problem if alcohol is found in the house. He needs a lawyer to keep him out of jail.
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine | Jerry Lee Wallentine Jr.
    Yes, he can still be charged.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    The charge of supplying does not require that the person charged be drinking themselves. Since the party was at your son's home and he was the person in charge, it is assumed that he provided the alcohol. If this is not true, his friends would have to state that they brought the alcohol and where they got it. Regardless, your son may still face a charge of hosting a MIP party.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    He was not charged for drinking, he was charged for having alcohol in your home. Minors were in the home. No tests are required.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    Yes, technically he can be charged. However, you should hire him a good defense attorney as there are some inherent defenses in cases such as these.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    They do not have to give him a breath test to charge him with this crime.