Can a murder charge be lowered to a self defense charge? 1 Answers as of May 28, 2014

Hi. I come laying all my worries and troubles before God asking him to please, please help my boyfriend overcome the heavy burden that he has on his shoulders right now. He needs all the prayers he can get right now and only God can help us through this. Please get back to me thank you.

Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
Self defense is a defense to a charge - it is not a charge in and of itself. So the answer to your question is "No. a murder charge cannot be lowered to a self defense charge." However, if a skilled defense attorney can present evidence that your boyfriend was defending himself from serious physical injury or death, then a jury may find that he was justified in his actions and find him not guilty. The prosecutor does get a chance to try and disprove the self defense claim so it is a very complicated area of law. You need a skilled criminal attorney who is familiar with self defense claims; however, they are very expensive because of the seriousness of the charges against him and the amount of work that needs to be done.