Can moving out before filing for divorce negatively impact me during the proceedings? 1 Answers as of June 28, 2011

If I move out of the house that my husband and I occupy at this time, then move into an apartment and file for divorce, what is the worst thing that can happen to me?

ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
There are several factors to consider. Will you be seeking spousal support? If so, the reasons you have moved from the family home become important to determine whether or not you are "free from fault" in any Louisiana divorce. You may move from the family home if the reason is because of your husband's fault that renders living together insupportable, such as adultery, spousal or drug abuse, or habitual intemperance, for examples. If you move out without a good reason, you may be at fault in the breakup and become ineligible for permanent support if it is needed. If you leave children behind when you move out, this decision may negatively affect the custody award, again, depending on the circumstances.