Can a mother refuse custody of her teenager? Posted on April 14, 2011

My 16yr old stepson has been living with my husband and I for 7 months. His mother couldn't handle the problems he was having. She still has legal custody of him. He is very unruly, doing drugs, skipping school, running away for days at a time, being very disrespectful, rude and out of control. His father and I can not agree to strict enough punishment because of everything we try, nothing works. He will be good for a week or so then do something major. I even caught him smoking pot in my house. Can his mother legally refuse to take him back because she says she will not allow him back to her house because her husband won't allow it. I can not take the abuse from this child anymore and do not know what to do. Do I call the police and just start having them make reports or can I call them and have them take him back to his mothers house since she is his legal guardian? I am desperate for assistance because nothing is working and all I and my husband do is fight due to this situation because this is his son.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: