Can the mother of my child take her out of state without my consent or not? 7 Answers as of June 10, 2013

My daughter is now 4 I haven't been part of her life for various situations. I started paying child support for one year already but I've been on the birth certificate since she was born is it ok for her to take her out of state without my consent.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Firm of Jessica M. Cotter, P.L.L.C. | Jessica M. Cotter
It is essential that you speak with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your matter. If there are no parenting time orders in place you may be foreclosed from acting, if you do not do something soon.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 6/10/2013
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
Unless there is a court order saying that she can't, she can take the child anywhere.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/10/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
If there is no custody order in place, it is possible. It is also possible that if she goes, you may be able to get the court in your state to force her to bring the child back. But, if you have not been a part of the child's life, will you if she stays in the state. If not, don't hurt the child because you want to feel like a big man. In other words, if you force the child to stay, you have to start being her dad, not just the bio-father.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 6/7/2013
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
You can file a Petition for Legitimation and have more say in these matters
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/7/2013
Petit & Dommershausen SC
Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
For a short time, yes Long term it depends on if you have an legal.standing Review your order
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/7/2013
    Glenn Milgraum PC
    Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
    If you make a motion to the Court you can stop removal provided the child is a resident of New Jersey for more than six months.Then a hearing will be held to determine if the move is inimical to the child's best interest.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 6/6/2013
    James Family Law Firm, P.C. | Amber Yerkey James
    Without a court order prohibiting her from doing so, she can take her out of the state without your consent for periods of time for vacations and day trips. Your question does not address whether or not there is a custody order of any type or if this is a vacation or permanent relocation.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 6/6/2013
Click to View More Answers: