Can a man hit a woman in self defense? 1 Answers as of June 27, 2011

Can a man hit a woman in self-defense with equal force? Even if she slaps him? I see it all the time on movies, TV shows, commercials, I even hear it on the radio. Women are kicking, biting, scratching, punching, and slapping men if we make a mistake. This has GOT to end! I’ve seen videos on YouTube where a woman knocked out a man unconscious and everyone around laughed and even applauded! I’ve also seen one where a man barely smacked a woman and everyone piled on top of him as if he has just murdered a fellow human being. The Disney Channel show "Good Luck Charlie" even has some of this in it. Women complain about having equal rights when they already have them but also think that if they hit a man, he can't do anything about it due to the law. Is this true? Please respond as soon as possible!

The Chetson Firm, PLLC
The Chetson Firm, PLLC | Damon Chetson
Self defense is not retaliation. In other words, slapping someone back would likely be an assault, which in North Carolina is likely charged as an Assault on a Female, a Class A1 misdemeanor. If you have been charged with an assault, you should seek a competent lawyer to help defend you.