Can legal action be taken against me if I received unemployment benefits I wasn't entitled to? 5 Answers as of March 06, 2011

I received unemployment benefits in August of 2009. I was under the impression that I was eligible and I filled out all of the required paperwork truthfully. I just now received a letter from the state stating that I received benefits that I was not entitled to. I already received the money, and at this point it was a year and a half ago so the money has been spent. How should I respond to this matter? Can I be sued by the state for the money?

Of course you can be sued for overpayment, whether accidental or fraudulent. If fraudulent, you could also be charged with that crime and arrested. Work it out with them in good faith.
There is an special board that handles these matters. Along with getting the money back, they also may be looking for steep financial fines and penalties. I recommend consulting an Attorney to discuss your case in further detail.
Get a lawyer or PD. You can be criminally prosecuted for fraud.