Can a landlord withhold personal property for money they claim you owe them? 1 Answers as of January 18, 2011

I was living with some friends and recently moved out. My ex-roommates claim I owe them money and are holding some of my belongings as collateral.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
File what's called a Warrant in Detinue in your local general district court for the return of your property against those who are withholding it, and, if for whatever reason it cannot be returned, then ask that the court enter a judgment in your favor against the defendants for its fair market value.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: