Can a landlord threaten my husband to leave? 11 Answers as of June 26, 2013

We have lived in the same house for 18 years, never late on rent. My husband got into an argument with the roofers, the roofer called the landlord, he showed up got in my husbands face and told him that we have 60 days to move. I just want to know if he can do this and what our rights are.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Tadd Dietz, PLLC
Law Office of Tadd Dietz, PLLC | Tadd Dietz
The rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants are usually outlined in the lease contract. Landlords may have the right to evict tenants if they feel there has been a breach of the lease agreement. Additional information regarding the rights of tenants and landlords, and eviction procedure can be obtained from the Utah Renters Handbook which is produced by Utah Legal Services. See . If you are seeking legal advice regarding the specific facts of your case consult an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 8/18/2011
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
Based upon your stated facts, it would appear that the only cause of action the Landlord may have is for breach of your lease. However, in Connecticut the Landlord would need to send a curative notice asking you to fix or refrain from the conduct cited in the notice. If substantially the same act occurs within six months or if you do not cure the breach the Landlord would then have the right to bring start an eviction by serving you with a Notice to Quit. However, if you cure or refrain from the conduct their only course of action is to evict on the basis of lapse of time which is basically a no-fault eviction. This type of action allows the tenant a great deal more time to vacate the premises. If you remain on the premises after the expiration of the date cited in the Notice to Quit he can bring a summary process action in housing court. Your facts do not state whether you are a tenant under a written or an oral month to month lease. This may become important in the event the Landlord opts to evict on the basis of lapse of time. You may want to consult with an attorney who can guide you.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 8/18/2011
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
What does the lease say about eviction?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/26/2013
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
Depends on lease or rental agreement. The Landlord-Tenant Law of Alabama states as follows: Section 35-9A-407 - Tenant's remedies for landlord's unlawful ouster, exclusion, or diminution of service. If a landlord unlawfully removes or excludes the tenant from the premises or wilfully diminishes services to the tenant by interrupting or causing the interruption of heat, running water, hot water, electric, gas, or other essential service, the tenant may recover possession or terminate the rental agreement and, in either case, recover an amount equal to not more than three months' periodic rent or the actual damages sustained by the tenant, whichever is greater, and reasonable attorney's fees. If the rental agreement is terminated under this section, the landlord shall return all security recoverable under Section 35-9A-201 and all unearned prepaid rent. (Act 2006-316, p. 668, 1.)
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 8/18/2011
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
If you are on a month to month lease landlord can give you a WRITTEN 60 day notice to leave. Hard to believe landlord would get rid of such a great tenant. Nothing you can do legally. Personally, your husband can eat humble pie and apologize.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/17/2011
    Law Office of Jared Altman
    Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
    If you don't have a written lease then he can terminate your tenancy on one full month's notice. Otherwise, you need to read the lease.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/17/2011
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    The landlord has to give you notice of default (how you violated terms of the lease). If you do not "fix" whatever caused the default, he then must file a court action for you to actually be evicted.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 8/17/2011
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
    He cant do that. If you have a lease, you have to have violated a term of the lease. if no lease, he has to give you a minimum 30 days and then take you to court after the 30 days has expired.
    Answer Applies to: Maine
    Replied: 8/17/2011
    The Coyle Law Office
    The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
    This depends if you have a written lease or not. If you do, then your landlord probably cannot make you leave prior to the expiration of the lease. If you do not have a written lease, then your landlord need only give you written 30 days notice prior to his starting eviction proceedings.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/17/2011
    Bagwell Holt Smith Jones & Crowson, P.A.
    Bagwell Holt Smith Jones & Crowson, P.A. | John G. Miskey IV
    Consult with an attorney to review your lease. The answer depends upon the language in your lease.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 8/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: