Can a landlord just put a non smoking sign on the front porch without discussing the topic with the renter? 6 Answers as of February 20, 2014

I've rented a room in a home for almost a year. I'm a smoker and smoke on the front porch. Today, put of nowhere, non provoked the landlord posted a handwritten sign on the porch wall that reads "No smoking on the premisses, subject to arrest". What are my rights? Can he do that? He has never once discussed this topic with me.

Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
The landlord can not have you arrested for smoking on the porch. He may try to evict you but without proof that no smoking was a condition of the rental he could not use that reason. Absent that, he would have to give you 60 days notice if your anniversary has passed and you are a tenant for more than a year at the time of the notice.
Resnick & Moss, P.C.
Resnick & Moss, P.C. | Mark Bredow
You do not have any special rights to smoke. Your tenancy is governed by your lease agreement. Read it for anything that remotely involves smoking specifically, or more generally following the rules of the house, or health hazards. In the end, when your lease ends, he does not have to continue to lease to you. He could seek to evict you at the end of your lease for no reason at all. Your best course of action is to have a friendly, not confrontational discussion with your landlord to determine what his concerns are and seek a compromise, or be prepared to move.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
The landlord can changes the terms on 30 days written notice.
Discuss the issue with the landlord! Does the sign refer just to the inside of the premises or also the porch. Was it put up because local law forbids smoking there so that landlord has no choice? if not, and if the landlord was aware you smoked there, it might be a violation of the lease, but we need more facts.
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
Unless your lease provides otherwise, smoke 'em if got 'em.