Can landlord force us a to provide our bank account numbers by saying we would get a fine each month if we do not give it? 7 Answers as of October 25, 2013

The landlord of the apartment house has mandated that I (and everybody else) provide my bank account numbers so that they can automatically deduct the monthly rent. I have always paid on time. If I do not comply, they will levy a fine every month. Is this legal?

MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
No. Unless the lease provides otherwise.
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
What does your lease say? If it does not require any such disclosure then you do not need to provide it and you do not need to agree to an automatic withdrawal.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
If your lease agreement provides for a discounted rent in the event of automatic account withdrawal authorization, then the landlord is entitled to remove the discount absent that authorization.
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
If it is not written in the lease agreement, the landlord cannot force it. If you are on a month to month lease, the landlord could give you notice of termination unless you comply.
It is if it is in the lease agreement.
    I would have to look at your lease or rental agreement but generally persons can put whatever terms they wish in a contract.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    No, unless the lease states that he is entitled to that information.