Can a judge drop a simple marijuana possession charge? 7 Answers as of September 20, 2013

We got caught at a park, in our car and apparently the park had closed a half an hour before. So the park closed at 10 pm and it was 10:30. We got approached by a cop car and the cop came to the window of the car and right away asked us for ID's after a while he asked if we had anything we shouldn't have on us etc. We first denied it until he claimed to smell marijuana. We decided to hand it over. We each got $1,000 violation fines reducible to $500 if we appear at the court. We hadn't smoked at the park, and there was another car at the park that got off scott free. All in all 3 cop cars came for this, and we over heard them say they were told 2 felons were at the park. We are not felons and they came on false pretenses. Is there anything to possibly get the charges dismissed? Is it worth talking to a judge? We can't afford these dumb fines.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
These are not "false pretenses." The police had reasonable suspicion to approach your car because you were in the park after hours. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney if you want to get the drug charges reduced to a lesser offense and keep this off your permanent criminal record. In Missouri, a misdemeanor drug possession charge is punishable by 1 year in jail and a fine of $1,000.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 9/20/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Well then you can't afford to smoke something illegal and break the law. Get a lawyer and see if something can be done so you end up with no drug conviction on your record. A drug conviction will prohibit you from doing many things.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/20/2013
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Ask the Judge for the diversion program so you can get a dismissal.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/18/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
By yourself? Not likely. With a good lawyer talking to the Judge?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/18/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
So, the judge is just going to drop the charges for liars (we said we did not have any) in the park after dark that don't have any money. Yeah. right. Please go to court and tell the story and write back and inform everyone about what occurred.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/18/2013
Click to View More Answers: