Can a job that requires you to live in a specific location without signing a lease charge you for cleaning costs? 1 Answers as of August 15, 2017

I worked for a public university as a Residence Life Coordinator for University Housing Services from August 2016-May2017. When I moved in there was no condition form provided and I was told it wasn't needed by my welcoming person when I asked. I asked my supervisor before I left what I needed to do to ensure I was in good standing with the department and she told me other than returning my keys there was "nothing additional needed." I was told there was no formal move out process or paperwork by that supervisor. Upon my leaving 2 supervisors entered my apartment and say that the apartment was dirty and charged me $331 for cleaning costs. I was not told this was something that would take place when I asked before I left nor was I given an option to be present during this inspection. I never signed a lease or rental agreement only an employment contract that stated I had to live in that building because it was the building I supervised as part of my official job duties. If I don't pay, could the university send the bill in to collection (and thus have it reflect on my credit score)?

When leaving a housing unit it is customary to leave it in a clean, move-in ready condition.