Can a job application be transferred to different position without consent? How? 3 Answers as of September 16, 2015

I applied for a Researcher position that said that would need a Master of Political Science degree, which I have. After the first interview, the employer called me for second interview. In the second interview, they told me that they were considering me for a different position Analyst. A week later, they emailed me saying that they offered the Analyst position to someone else with more quantitative background. However, I never applied for Analyst position in the first place. I knew a person who applied to Analyst position but now I find out he was hired for Researcher position. I feel like in order to hire that other person they first moved my application to Analyst position so that I could be rejected on the ground of not having quantitative background, and so that the Researcher position would be available to be filled with the other person. The employer is a public institution, I feel like I have been cheated and discriminated by moving my application without my consent to hinder my chances. Is that something legal? Have I been discriminated?

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
I know of no law that governs such matters. I do not know, but I suppose this is at the whim of the public institution The law does not attempt to regulate everything. Not all discrimination is illegal. Illegal discrimination is limited to: race, age, sex, national origin, religion, handicap. If you feel you have been discriminated against, based on one of these, you should contact an attorney that handles EEOC cases. Your facts do not state anything based on these criteria, so I assume you have been the victim of legal discrimination. Another name for legal discrimination is "business decision" which is what companies do every day. You likely consider yourself some one that never discriminates against any one. If so, ponder that notion as you go about your daily life. You will see discrimination everywhere. Would the employer hire you if you showed up for the job interview in your underwear, and intoxicated. No. Well, that is legal discriminating. Not all discrimination is illegal.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
The employer can do everything that was done in the hiring process, unless there was discrimination involved. Those are very exact grounds based on color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, disability etc.
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
Illegal discrimination must be based on a protected-class such as sex, race/national origin, age-40 years or older, disability, etc.