Can a J1 visa holder change the status? 4 Answers as of August 29, 2013

I am a J1 visa (applied 2 year home residency) holder, which will expire in Dec 2013. I got married to a US citizen in June 2013. Now we are preparing to change the status. Can I do a waiver, I130 and I485 concurrently? Or do I need to ask the waiver first, and follow other steps?

Walker & Ungo Law Firm
Walker & Ungo Law Firm | Gabriela Ungo
You should obtain a J1 waiver before filing for adjustment of status.
There is a very specific process you must file. A waiver of the two-year home residency requirement is not easy to secure. You should consider working with an attorney on the matter.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You need to apply for the waiver first and obtain at least a waiver recommendation from the U.S. Department of State before you can apply for adjustment of status.
Vladimir Parizher
Vladimir Parizher | Vladimir Parizher
I believe you may ask for a waiver if you could demonstrate hardships. The rule, however is pretty strict. Your best way to resolve it might be discussing the issue with and opening up all details to an immigration attorney.