Can the IRS reposess my only vehicle? 3 Answers as of March 11, 2011

I owe the IRS $23K in back taxes due to errors on my taxes that I filed myself over past years. They are garnishing my wages starting 4/1/11 for over $800 a month. I will lose my job if my wages are garnished. They are repossessing my truck tomorrow so I won't have a way to get to work. I used to have payments with the IRS for 3 years but couldn't keep up with it.

Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
Yes they can repossess especially when you fail to follow through with a payment program. You now it is not a good idea to mess with the IRS; if you promise to do something with them you better do it or else face worse consequences.
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
If it is property, the IRS can attach it for satisfy what you owe. The issue is will they since it is your transportation to work and without that you cannot work. While you have no money, I would definitely consult a lawyer. If you cannot I would call the IRS and explain your situation. In certain instances, the IRS may work with you but you have to talk to them.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Yes, they can, but dont usually do it.