Can the idea for a profitable event be copywriter so you must be included in the profits? 2 Answers as of February 23, 2011

If I have an idea that uses a specific company’s resources and would be very profitable, can I protect the idea before presenting it to the company to protect my interest in sharing the profits produced from the idea?

Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
You could file a patent on a method of doing business.
Michael M. Ahmadshahi
Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
The way to protect your idea is to file a patent application since ideas ARE NOT copyrightable. However, if the cost for filing a patent application is out your budget, you should use a Non-Disclosure Agreement, commonly referred to as NDA. Before, presenting your idea to the company representatives, have them sign an NDA. If they are interested in your idea, they might even strike a deal with you so that they pay for the patent application, or they might agree to enter into a license agreement with you or outright buy your idea. Therefore, as a minimum, you should have recipients of your idea sign an NDA. The basic NDA can be obtained online (least expensive) or the more sophisticated ones through an attorney.