Can I work for the government with a suspended imposition of sentence on a misdemeanor child abuse case? 1 Answers as of July 19, 2011

I was charged with a misdemeanor child abuse in March 2011 but received a suspended imposition of sentencing. I was told after a year the charges would go away as long as I do not commit any jailable offenses. I did everything OCS and the attorneys instructed me to do. My case came about for spanking my son with a belt after he was caught stealing at school a 4th time and when went to school the next day he still had a red mark from it. My question is that I am trying to get a job with the Alaska Police Department and want to know if the sis misdemeanor child abuse will disqualify me for the job. My attorneys told me that I would not be affected by the charges due to the sis but I just want a second opinion. Thank You.

Osterman Law LLC
Osterman Law LLC | Mark D. Osterman
I am not sure I agree with your attorneys. I hope they are right. Some time ago, I was involved with a case known as Dept. of Nursing v. Platt.169 P3d 595 (2007). In that case, an SIS on a felony embezzlement charge was given and Ms. Platt sought a nursing assistant license. She was denied because of the SIS. The Alaska Supreme Court held that the State can ask if you had an SIS and they have the right to decide whether or not this makes you ineligible for licensing or even employment. I had argued and lost on the issue of whether the determination of a crime comes from the word of the court and not to the hiring agency. That decision is still on the books and is quoted from time to time. I urge you to read the decision. I ran "Dept of Nursing v. Platt" in google and got it from several sources. Good luck!