Can I withdraw a B2 visa application and file for a J visa instead? 2 Answers as of February 08, 2011

I am Italian. I applied for B2 visa to do a trip and visit some friends in the states. But I received an amazing proposal to do an internship, so I said to myself "Why not?" My interview with the embassy for the B visa petition is scheduled next week, what am I supposed to do with the J visa process now? Is there a way to withdraw the B petition and go for the J one? It wasn't fraud, and I didn't mean to do anything wrong! Thanks in advance.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
It is okay for one to have multiple visas. You should bring your DS-230 for J1 visa with you to the interview. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/8/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
You could certainly withdraw your B2 application by informing the consulate that you will instead be applying for a J1 visa. You should check the consulate's website to see if they have special procedure for applying for a J1. If not, and you are prepared to file for a J1, you may want to go to your B2 interview and see if they can process your J1 application instead.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: